#OnceIWasABeehive: Movie Haircolor — Method to the Madness

Acting can take a toll on your hair. Often, the hair is thrashed. Over-processed and over-worked. My job is to make the actors look great, according to the project specifications. And it definitely makes my job more difficult if the hair has been damaged, or if roots are showing when they arrive on set.

Knowing this, I wanted to make sure when I did the haircolor for this movie, that it could last throughout the filming process. This was an independent film and the whole thing was shot in three weeks. We worked very long days. There was absolutely no time for color touch-ups during the filming process. So I needed to have a plan.

This was my master color plan and the thoughts behind it for this project...

Lisa: Her hair is in great condition. I do her color on a regular basis and it was easy to make her hair look good because she takes care of it. She uses professional shampoo and conditioner, and she does the treatments I send home with her. I broke her base with DIARichesse 15 vol. and balayaged her hair to give very natural highlights so it wouldn't be as noticeable if her roots started growing out during filming. I glazed Lisa's hair with DIAlight to seal the cuticle down and to add shine, so it would look great on camera. I used Olaplex on her hair and had Lisa use the take-home treatment too, just to make sure her hair would be strong and healthy, and so it would be easy to pull up and not get breakage. Her hair is naturally very fine. I also added clip-in extensions to give a little more fullness and glamour for the shots before she goes to camp. I thought it fit her role perfectly

Hailey: I did something very similar to her hair as I wanted her to look fantastic, but very natural. I broke her base with DIA and balayaged highlights. I also added lowlights because her ends were getting a little too light and the hair was losing dimension overall. Her natural curl was really fun to work with. Tecniart Perfect Texture worked great on her hair and made it super easy to style.

Paris: Her mother is a hairstylist, so Paris is not new to haircolor. She came
in with a slight ombre look and had highlights toward the ends of her hair. Maclain (the director) wanted her to look more naturally pretty, not glamour pretty, so we took her light brown hair to a darker and deeper color. I did various shades of mocha by DIA to give her natural looking color, not wig-like color, and so that it looked like it grew out of her own head. We also used Olaplex on her. I think it turned out gorgeous!

Claire:  She is a natural brunette and needed to be blonde so that she looked like Lisa's daughter. She was probably the most challenging because she had a lot going on in her hair already, and because I needed to do a major color change. Doing a major change could compromise her hair further and make it very difficult to style her hair on set each day. Also, another issue would be her roots. Taking her too light meant that the roots would be showing about a week into filming. (Did I mention that the scenes are not shot in order? On any given day we could be shooting anywhere in the timeline of the script, usually multiple timeline jumps per day.) I needed to make Claire's blonde believable, but not be so far off from her natural color that she would have horrid roots. I lifted up her natural a few shades, controlling the warmth with Majirel Cool Cover. Then I removed some previous color from her ends and balayaged the whole head. I used Olaplex, which made it possible to go lighter and fix the previous color. My process made the ends the lightest part, like nature would have it, but keep the roots a tad darker so the color would look better for a longer period of time. This also made the light blonde look as natural as possible against her skin tone.

Kaley:  She needed to be a red head. We colored her hair a deeper red, but when the director saw her, he said she looked too sexy and that she needed to look more nerdy. Hah! We ended up lightening it all up and making her a more vibrant copper. I thought she look fantastic! I don't know if I would call it nerdy, but I loved that color on her. Once we removed/lightened out some of the other red, we glazed it all with DIA copper. (Photo by @kaleymccormack)

Audrey: She had a good base for her color, but needed something a
little more edgy. I freshened up her already ombre hair with DIARichesse and DIAlight, then I added some blue extensions to give her more of an edge. I chose extensions because they would be less damaging to her previously compromised hair (Olaplex to the rescue, again), and also because we wouldn't have to worry about the blue tone fading during filming.


Zoe: Her hair had streaks of blonde and red when we started, with some of her natural brown. We wanted her to look natural, since it suits her character to not look like she colors her hair. But we wanted the natural looking color to flatter her skin tone. We did an all-over, rich brunette color with DIARichesse, and Olaplex.

That was my thought process behind the color for this project. The women were all so naturally beautiful already (isn't it great working with actresses?!), so they probably could have made any color look great. But I think their haircolor suited them and the project needs, and we didn't have to do any mid-filming touch ups. For specific formulas, please contact me by email: info@culturessalon.com



No comments:

Post a Comment