My Dad is Smart, But He's Not Hair Smart

My dad is a pretty cool guy. He has a mind to be able to figure out how things work. He worked his way into a high profile job at the nuclear power plant in Idaho. And he happens to be a bit of a celebrity at the EBR1 museum. He can also make complicated things sound super easy. You actually feel like you’re understanding, until you try to explain it to others and realize that is a true talent right there.

He has always been able to fix up cars and still does it, just for fun, in his home shop. He can make or fix just about anything, actually. He earned his pilot’s license when he was sixteen years old. He was a bit of a band geek, playing saxophone and clarinet, but played in a dance band, so kind of a cool geek. He has always been there when I needed him and always happens to have extremely sound advice, but won’t ever tell me what to do. (Except when it comes to waking up. When I was a teenager, 7:00 am was considered "sleeping in" on the weekends. Sometimes 7:30, if we were lucky.)

When I was in 5th grade, my mom had a heart attack. Actually, she had two, but who’s counting? Being as young as I was, it didn’t really compute in my little brain. I didn’t understand the seriousness of the situation. So, as you can imagine, it was business as usual for me.

What was my business? I NEEDED a haircut!

My dad said he could tackle that project because, after all, how hard can it be when you have a brain like he does, right?

Well…this is the result.

I am the youngest one in the photo. The one with the bang situation.
What’s awesome is that this incident is forever set in stone by our family pictures. Turns out my dad can’t do everything. I should have known when he kept cutting in the same spot over and over and over and over. I guess no one is perfect.


Maybe that’s why I do what I do. I found something that I am good at and now I can help other people with their hair, including my parents. Hair is not their forte, obviously.

No comments:

Post a Comment